Thursday, January 24, 2019

AEST: || MSK: || CEST: || BST: || EST: || CST: || MST: || PST:

Search Topic:
Advanced Search
Caistaf
Regular
Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Hey everyone, before I talk about the topic I should introduce myself. My name is Caistaf (IGN is the same) and I've played on this server for only about a week playing on the 'evil' side.

For the last couple of days I have been muted. I believe the reason being that I typed a word in caps ("WHAT"). An hour or perhaps two before this incident I capitalized the word "OUR" within a sentence for emphasis purposes and was warned by one of the moderaters, which I initially questioned, as a three letter word being capitalized does not generally classify as "Excessive caps", as the rules put it, although I reluctantly accepted the warning as to avoid unnecessary conflict. I generally type very quickly so by reflex I capitalized another three letter word and was warned once more. After this I decided to simply stop typing. Later on an admin logged on and warned me and my friends about staff disrespect (and if my memory serves me right, a small threat on the side), to which I responded with a clarification that I had not in any intended or visible manner disrespected staff (my friends were directly insulting and disrespecting the staff member which warned me about the server's CAPS rule). The admin then set me on fire, and when I asked why I had been set on fire the admin responded with yet more fire. About an hour after this happened I was riding through the desert while my friend was talking to staff members and I was suddenly teleported 1k blocks in the air. Instinctively I typed "WHAT" in chat, as this immensely confusing in the moment, and I fell to my death. I said in chat that I had just been teleported 1k blocks into the air, and was then muted. I would not have made this post if it had been a 1 day mute, or something similar, but it has been several days and my ability to type in chat is still revoked. At the very I would like have  the reason and time that I am muted clarified. 

*For any wondering if I was being snarky at any point in time, I made sure to clarify that if I was coming off as snarky then it was not intended, multiple times*

Presence10
Web Administrator
Posted on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Hey Caistaf; your mute was turned off on 12/18/18 at 9:29PM server time. 

Here is what I see and read. I have spoken to moderators, seen their comments sent to me on the issue as they were taken back by your tone. Tone is very difficult to come across via text [https://www.youtube.com/wat...] See link as example. Thusly what can be confused as teasing or joking about can be considered rude if read the wrong way.

That being said, you were asked to abide by the rules and decided to argue them. I have trained staff on keeping to the metaphorical spirit of the rules rather than a strict guidelines of rules. This is because I believe a spirit of a rule is easier to follow than the strict ruling. 

Take the rule "Dont be a dick", instead of having thousands of examples of what not to do, we broadly define it and suggest a spirit of a rule be kept. Is sealing a player in a box and making sure they cant escape being a dick? Well I would consider it being one so yes. I am sure the person playing in the box isnt enjoying their time so they too consider it a dick move.

That being said we have players who constantly test our rules because people want strict guidelines and boundries. So eventually we have to make a ruling of what is spam and caps. Thus our policy is no more than 3 repeating characters is spam, and caps should be used as minimal as possible. These rules were to convey a better chat and more, lack of a better word, professional looking chat. These are not hard rules to follow, anyone can regulate themselves to stay within these rules.

As for the timeline of events; 
On 12/13 you were asked to avoid caps by BurgundyHeart. Not a terrible request. Instead of saying "What counts as caps" you instead said it was not caps 'lock' but shift, and did a 'In your face' remark. Compared us to the Chinese Government and then told staff they are to be mindful of the player experience not themselves.
--Ended with Burgundy reiteriating rule 1 of being a dick.

The next instance is arguing with staff. Burgundy spoke to someone about the term "Eggroll" being used as a racial slur towards asains. You decided that "Studies have shown that bored staff members give less leewayt o players regarding rules" was appropriate. Then considered that Minecraft LOTR server was the appropriate place to handle a debate on racial slurs.
You were told that you can file a complaint with HR, responded with the notion that HR was a fancy title for a small server.

Our Admin DEMMERS spoke that everyone should respect staff, as there were many who seemed disrespectful. You decided to reply that Staff should respect the players. Although most conversations you were directly to be confrontational to staff. Then to assert that you were not ever disrespectful to staff.

I will point out; that the only times your name comes up in conversation is when it is confrontational to staff or players. I have looked through the logs. These are the only conversations you were a part of. 

Caistaf
Regular
Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Keep in mind I reiterated in chat on multiple instances that if I seemed to come off as "smartass", then it was not intentional. Additionally, I don't believe what I did was an arguement. A complaint, at most. When I said "It was not cap lock, but shift" it was meant as joke. Admittedly, I failed to specify that it was so. When I said "Studies have shown that bored staff members are less likely to give leeway to players regarding rules" this was nothing but slight constructive criticism. The moderator seemed to take offense, drawing my connection to the Chinese government (Intolerance of criticism, constructive or not). As for the "racial slur debate", my friend said something along the lines of "I am an eggroll orc" (in response to a question) and the moderator seemed to accuse my friend of racism. This ridiculous claim inspired a simple response in rebuttal. You claim that my comments were, as you put it, "directly to be confrontational to staff". I specificed on multiple occasions that anything seemingly "smartass" was being misinterpreted, and was not the intended effect. The closest thing to confrontational was my comparison to the Chinese government (which even still was meant as somewhat humorous), or perhaps my complaint. Either you are deliberately manipulating the nature of my words, or simply have missed very key items in the conversation. 

Presence10
Web Administrator
Posted on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Ah; so saying "Nah guys, just joke" even after everything that has happened should negate it?

I find the mute sustained, although you've already been unmuted.

Do not argue with staff, if you want you can always speak to Merky at Merky@AngliNex.net The one you insulted about 'humanoid resources is a big title for a small server'