Tuesday, October 23, 2018

AEST: || MSK: || CEST: || BST: || EST: || CST: || MST: || PST:

Search Topic:
Advanced Search
MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sat May 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello, I would like to apply to be a count of Lothlorien. The name of my city is Aladarin, and it is located at x:53321 z:22230. It is set in a forest of large mallorns trees that I planted, with bridges between buildings. At the top of my main tree is a small keep with two hanging player homes attached to its branches. The barracks, training yard, and smeltery are on the same level as the city center (the natural mallorn house). In the smeltery there is a path down to the stable,mine, and pasture which are on the ground level. If anything is too small I can make it bigger.

Last edited by Presence10 - Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 am
Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

First impression: Everything is made of *just* mallorn planks. The overall tree fort has no distinction of seperate buildings and it lacks variety. It seems to be thrown together and each point is rushed.

Sadly I do not really see any clear indications of buildings. Theres rooms sure, theyre mostly empty or have nothing that distinguishes them. Most buildings are just huge squares. Lacking variety or a sense of realism or tolkienism in their builds.

Some of these trees are cut in half and continue into the sky. Overall you should add more detail and take a look into some fan art of Lothlorien. Its a difficult area to build in sure, but take time and have patience and it will look good.

1. 2 Player Houses; I see no clear plots or areas that would look like a Player Home.
  2. Marketplace; I see no market stalls of trade booths in the area that would look like a Market Place.
  3. SmelteryNo area seems to be a place to smelt ores into ingots. They would not do this in a tree. It would be on the surface.
  4. PastureNo pasture, the stables are too small as well. Clear an area out for horses to roam that is of the size stated in the forum post.
  5. Training CampI see no area that looks like your troops would gather to practice and fight and spar.
  6. Capital Building; The entire build would work for this. Once all other requirements are met.
  7. Active Player on Discord; Requirement Met

Overall take more time, ask BanAbonnen for some help and take some inspiration from Fan Art. Could even look up people who build lothlorien style buildings to take more inspiration off of. 

Best thing to do is to vary the blocks you use. The majority of the build is just Mallorn Planks. Theres no Mallorn Beam, Stairs, or Elven Brick used. All would add some texture to a rather bland build.

MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Okay, I will make each building more detailed and recognizable, and I will also build a smeltery on the ground

Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 am

Just take time and use variations. Look at other builds around the server and even I made a build for you to sort of go off of.

MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sat Jun 2, 2018 9:08 am

Hello again Pres, I believe that I am ready to reapply. I sought advice from mrminecraft, ban, and others. The first time through, I really rushed through it and didn't do a good job. I have made many changes. The market is now located where the smeltery used to be, with hithlain and other items being sold and bought. The smeltery has been moved to where the stables was, which is now made out of galadhrim bricks reinforced with mallorn wood. I have put sideways mallorn beams within the paths, as well as brick slabs reinforcing it on bottom. I have anchored some of the paths to the trees above. I have created something similar to the Mirror of Galadriel in the center of town. I have furnished the tree fort and the player homes. I have created the sparring grounds, however I do not want to use the barracks as a barracks. Finally, I have built a Great Hall. It can seat and serve 26, with venison,rabbit, and mutton as the main course. Wine can be found in three barrels in the corner. I have also placed hanging brick lanterns in various locations around the entire town. I hope I did better this time, if I need to detail anything let me know.

Last edited by MysticalLord - Sat Jun 2, 2018 9:09 am
Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Sun Jun 3, 2018 4:16 pm

Second impression: Still have a lot of just mallorn planks but on the right path. Some places have 2 block tall ceilings. Not a good idea imho as it makes places feel cramped. Lothlorien is a difficult place to build in.

The dinning hall is fantastic in design. Except it feels more floating in the sky, and many of the buildings are too square if that makes sense. To rectify I would suggest some support branches under them, sort of cradling them to hold these structures up. Have them feel like resting on a branch.

You are definately on the right path. But for Lothlorien look to making the trees and the structure one in the same for a treehouse.

1. 2 Player Houses; These places need banners and a 17x17 area to call their own.
  2. Marketplace; Its a tad small. And cramped. Try expaning the platform out a bit.
  3. SmelteryRequirement Met
  4. PastureRequirement Met
  5. Training CampTight and cramped. And needs to meet the size requirement.
  6. Capital Building; It feels more like a lothlorien captial build.
MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:16 am

Alright Pres, I believe that I am finally done. I looked at your comments and followed them through. The market area is now expanded and has more trade offers. The training ground has been expanded with mallorn arches along the border. I have also built two new player homes that are flets (tree-house in a tree). The first flet is located in the tree next to the town center, and the second flet is located off the path up to the keep. Each flet includes a patio, weapons storage, item storage, lounge table, food table, and banner protection. Thank you for all of the tips you have given me, it has been fun!

Last edited by MysticalLord - Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm
MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 am

Also, I know that I live in the top flet at the moment but when I get another future knight I will move out of it.

Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Third impression: The straight wooden bridge to your farm... is an eyesore.

1. 2 Player Houses; Please make sure you move out; they are for Knights and players, not yourself.
  2. Marketplace; Still small; cramped; and with 2 high ceilings. 
  3. SmelteryRequirement Met
  4. PastureRequirement Met
  5. Training CampAfter I showed you a better floor plan; the build looks much nicer.
  6. Capital Building; It feels more like a lothlorien captial build.
MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I demolished the bridge and expanded and prettied up the market. I did not build the bridge by the way, LCol did.

MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:42 pm

I have now built a new bridge to the farm and also created my own quarters in the tree there, as well as making a new house there. 

MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:59 pm

I have also placed Mahogany wood throughout the entire city.

MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sun Jul 1, 2018 7:31 pm

Time to reapply. The market is now fixed and expanded, with each stall surrounded by mahogany stairs. I have also placed pillars for decoration.

Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Sun Jul 1, 2018 8:17 pm

• 2 Player Houses; Please make sure you move out; they are for Knights and players, not yourself.
  • Marketplace;The stalls are now just 1 trade booth. A market stall should feel like a market stall, imagine the ones you see at hobbiton.
  • SmelteryRequirement Met
  • PastureRequirement Met
  • Training CampRequirement Met
  • Capital Building; It feels more like a lothlorien captial build.
  • Active Player on Discord; Requirement Met

Last edited by Presence10 - Sun Jul 1, 2018 8:19 pm
MysticalLord
Regular
Posted on Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:08 am

Alright Pres, this is my final (hopefully) application. i fixed the market by moving all the scattered booths into three stalls made of mahogany wood along the side. Hithlain, food, and other items will have their own booths. I have also made a medium sized market east of the dale crossroads. Items traded there can also move to the Aladarin market. Another traded item will be Aladarinian wine. Thank you for all the tips you have given me along the way.

Presence10
Administrator
Posted on Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:48 am

Fifth Impression: Youve met requirements but I want you to take an introspective look on it. Does this place feel good? To me I look around and see very rectangular and square buildings. They should be more curved and lifeful. The platforms dont sit in trees they hover above them. Your supports dig into leaves; and all of it feels a lack of weight.

2 Player Houses; Requirement Met

Marketplace; Requirement Met

Smeltery; Requirement Met

Pasture; Requirement Met

Training Camp; Requirement Met

Capital Building; Requirement Met

Active Player; Requirement Met

Last edited by Presence10 - Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:52 am
30Storm
Regular
Posted on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Applying for tavern building. Coordinates X:53292 Z:22185